There are many things to focus on when the time comes to launch a website. Concentration is imperative during this time. Forgetting to complete a small procedure could be detrimental. I have composed this Website Deployment Checklist. When used it can mitigate the risk of unforeseen things happening. It has proven itself valuable time and time again.
- Correct spelling, grammar, capitalization & punctuation.
- Widows and orphans are eliminated.
- Heading level text is concise.
- Images are relatively linked.
- Image files have alt attributes.
- All links are relative and directed to the correct domain.
- Links open in a new tab if need be.
- Forms send values to appropriate location.
- Required fields are coded correctly.
- Required fields have asterisks.
- Placeholder text is eliminated on-click.
- Submits in all browsers and devices.
- Data is captured with a secondary method.
- Preventative measure to reduce form spam.
- The rendered site matches the design.
- A favicon created and is linked1.
- 404 page directs user to the correct page.
- Search function correctly parses content.
- Passwords are a combination of letters, numbers and special characters.
- Log-in has been changed.
- Limit is set on the number of failed log-in attempts.
- Content management system is updated.
- Plug-ins are the most recent versions.
- Page load time is tested.
- Image files are compressed.
- Completed a load test.
- Requests are kept to a minimum. Unnecessary requests are eliminated.
- A site map created and accessible.
- Submitted site and sitemap to search engines.
- Reformatted robots.txt to disable directories from search engines.
- Added tracking code.
- 301 redirects for non-existent pages.